Mental Health for Entrepreneurs
How long have you been an entrepreneur? How easy is it to maintain a positive outlook on your business, professional, family, and personal life?
One’s mental health is essential in achieving and maintaining a positive outlook on your overall
As an entrepreneur, how can you assure that you stay positive while still running a successful business? What does it mean to be an Entrepreneur?
According to Google, an entrepreneur is “someone who organizes and operates a business and taking on greater than normal financial risks to do so.
So how can you, as an entrepreneur, focus on having a positive outlook on life when you are always thinking about money?
Well, achieving this goal is recognizing the importance of taking care of your health. More specifically, your mental health. Mental health is defined, as one’s ability to function in and meet demands of day to day living in the current condition of their psychological, emotional and social well-being. Scientific research has shown mental, social and emotional well-being begins early on in childhood development (some early as in-embryo). Your childhood experiences shape your views, perception, thoughts, and values of yourself and the world around you, which in turn create feelings, emotions, and sensations. There are specific experiences that individuals face that are significant risk factors for their social, emotional and cognitive impairments, health risk behaviors, and medical and social problems, particularly if unresolved or untreated. Often, you put away (box in your head which will be called trash) the bad experiences and bad feelings, and you hope that you will never experience them again. However, for most people, the garbage just gets bigger with more stuff, and after a while, it gets full and begins to overflow. In those moments, you start to have overwhelming feelings. Depending on one’s amount of negative experiences and one’s efficiency in utilizing healthy coping skills and strategies, would determine how quickly the trash gets full. Eventually, it is essential to address whatever the issue may be that is causing impairment, harm, distress, constant negative emotions in your life.
What do you do when you feel like your mental health is in jeopardy? How will you know? What are the signs?
As you are developing yourself as an entrepreneur, it is critical to explore all aspects of your being so that you can become more aware of who you are in this present moment. Mental health issues will present differently for different people. As a professional counselor and an entrepreneur, I urge you to invest in your business by investing in yourself, your health, your mental health. Here are some simple ways for you to practice good mental health by doing daily self-checks in the following:
- Being mindful of your body, heart, and mind by noticing what is going on in your thoughts, your feelings, your body, and your behavior. You must treat yourself as a whole being, not as a disconnected entity.
- Listen to your body: Acknowledge every sensation in the body. Your body gives off signals (headaches, rapid heartbeats, stomach aches, etc.) and if something needs recalibrating.
- Listening to the heart: Acknowledge the feeling (s) that you feel whether positive or negative... don’t dismiss, avoid, bury, push away, ignore it.
- Listening to your thoughts: Acknowledge what you are thinking and identify the messages that are conveyed to you and whether it is positive or negative.
- Eating healthy foods and drink a lot of water. Research has shown that certain foods influence mood. And water (H2O) creates healthy blood flow
- Being active. Movement keeps the body energized. Exercise for 2-5 hours a week.
- Get rest. Sleep is essential for proper functioning. You need 6-10 hours of sleep a night.
- Take deep, slow diaphragmatic breaths. You often do not notice if you are taking shallow breaths or if our breathing is heavy or too fast.
- Actively Self soothe- Create soothing “bag” (a natural bag is a purse, bookbag) full of soothing and calming items that meet all five senses- touch, smells, see, hear, taste.
- Always get back to the NOW. The present is Gift. Enjoy it. Many times, you are in distress when you are ruminating on the past or future.
- Being social. Humans are naturally social creatures so interacting with others of like mind elevates us.
- Be your advocate. Only you know what is best for you to evaluate your life and your need advocate for the things that you want.
- Seek professional help. Always remember that you are not alone in whatever you are experiencing. There are professionals out there eager to help you achieve your vision.
- That's Mental Health For Entreprenuers